Picture perfect wedding cakes Your reception just wouldn’t be the same without a wedding cake. After all, it’s implied as a symbol of fertility and is one of the most generally found wedding customs.
The Ancient Romans used to bake a cake of barley or wheat and then break it over the bride’s head as a sign of fertility. It also turned accustomed to pile several small cakes to create one large tier. The bride and groom would then try to kiss over the tower of cakes without knocking it over. If they succeeded, it was a sign that their marriage would be long and happy.
- Bryllupsbilleder – En fotograf
- Bryllupsfoto serie fra Helsingør bryllup
- Bryllupsfotograf i DK
- Bryllupsfotografering tips og tricks
Today, wedding cakes are more about style and taste then they are symbols of fertility. If you’re a talented baker you can make your own wedding cake – not only will you save money but it will also represent all the love and dedication that you will put into your wedding. For those of you who aren’t whizzes in the kitchen there are hundreds of unique wedding cake plans to choose from, such as the recently common cupcake wedding cake.
Choosing a wedding cake
Selecting your wedding cake can be a hard job with all the styles and designs available. Visit the bakery and ask for a taste test! It’s the only way to try all the various types of cakes. You’ll want to consider the following in your decision:
- Cake flavors and fillings – Almond, vanilla, chocolate, cheesecake, ice cream, liqueur, fresh fruit, spice, carrot and banana are just some of the choices available to tickle the taste buds of all your guests.
- Cake frosting/icing – Fondant, butter cream, royal icing, cake decorators icing, marzipan and sugar paste or some of the sweetest choices to decorate your beautiful cake.
- Design – You’re not limited to the traditional three tiered, white wedding cake. Stacked cakes, chocolate, contemporary patterns, fresh flowers, bright colors and mini cakes are all gaining in popularity. Consider adding details such as charms, beads, ribbons or unique cake toppers for a decorative touch.
Wedding cake trends
If you want a cake that will affect your guests then check out the hottest new trends in wedding cake design:
* Personalize it- Cakes are turning much more personal, with custom designs, monograms and even cakes designed to fit the pattern of your wedding gown.
* Bold color – conventional white and ivory wedding cakes are becoming less popular. What’s hot are vibrant colored cakes bursting with personality – they can even be designed to matching the wedding decoration.
* Cultural traditions – The wedding cake design can be used to blend cultures and traditions. For instance, Chinese calligraphy stamps can be used to create a repeating pattern for a current look.